Friday, February 17, 2006

The Fakeness of Business

You know, I've never really been the type of person to want to wake up every morning to don a suit and tie for work. I've never been one for flashy shows of wealth (probably because I'm not wealthy) or other things that business does on a daily basis.

The reason: I think about 90 percent of all this stuff is fake anyway. It's so fake. For example, we go to job fairs wearing our suits and ties, combed hair and charismatic smile. We walk up, making sure to firmly shake the person's hand.

And, what do we do then. We make out with all the sugary sweetness talk about how great their organization is and how much enthusiasm we have about wanting to work and all this other crap.

Sometimes, I just want to go up to a potential employer and say, "You know what. I really just want a job. I'd like to make enough money to live a comfortable lifestyle. Let's just cut out all the small talk and the pleasantries, so we can be real with each other. I know you don't want to be at the job fair, and I don't want to have to wear a fake smile for you. So, why don't you just tell me whether I actually have a shot at getting a job with your company, and then I can stop wasting your time.

I'm not being bitter at the whole thing, but I just think that there's so much fakeness that goes on in business that it makes me want to barf. I want to be the same person I am at home. I don't want to be any different. And I won't be. I'm going to be myself.

That's all I can be.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think everybody in business is fake? I happen to enjoy putting on my suit and going out into the world to make something of myself. If you are trying to get a job just to support yourself and your family, then you should probably think twice about your life. You will spend the majority of your waking moments at a job so you might as well enjoy your job and employer. You should want a position that allows you to contribute to society and not just come to work because you have to. Some of us know we can change the world, and yes, we might have to wear a suit. It seems the fakeness is pretty one sided to me--the fact that you act like you care about your career.

Just something to chew on Marlina

11:02 PM  
Blogger Meggs said...

Marlin, good post. I agree with to a good degree. I don't think there is anything wrong with the pleasantries and suit, but it does get old. There will be times it is called for, but I encourage you to never lose that realness that you desire to possess. I was visiting Montevallo for a game that my school was playing down there and was visiting with a friend from college. As we walked around campus I ran in to a few people who work there...and while I was glad to see them, it was still slightly putting on the fake smile to greet them. My friend asked me, "Does that ever get old?" I replied, "Yep, it already has." Sometimes we'd much rather be real, especially the more and more we strive closer to Christ. I think we are called by god to live with joy and peace through our salvation, but at the same time -- I don't want that joy to be a false joy presented to make others think we are joyful or better than we are. I'm all about being real, after all, that is when we see the most our need for a savior and can appreciate that much more the sacrifice that was given for us. Well, I'm going to keep reading your other posts. It's been a while since I've taken the time to do so.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home